Monday, January 30, 2012

Sausage, Peppers, and Onions

I have a folder full of recipes, that I have printed of the web and never tried. Yesterday, I decided to try one. Of course, I made a few changes to it, but the recipe turned out extremely well. It's now being shifted into my permanent recipe file. The original recipe is on Simple Recipes website, but I added a few more herbs and increased a few quantities, to make this recipe for flavorful and more suitable to my taste.

Sausage, Peppers, and Onions

2-3 oz penne pasta
1 pkt polish Kilbasa, cut into 1inch pieces
2 tbs olive oil
1 green pepper, sliced into long strips
1 red pepper, sliced into long strips
1 yellow pepper, sliced into long strips
4 garlic cloves, sliced into slivers
1 lrg white onion, cut into wedges
1 can diced tomatoes, Italian style
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
3/4 cup red wine
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Cook the penne until al dente and set aside. Heat the oil in a pan with a lid; when hot add sausages and allow them to brown on all sides, remove and kepp aside. Put the peppers and onions into the pan, and allow to brown, almost singe it. Add the garlic and allow it to brown. Next add the red wine, and allow it to reduce by about half. Now add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir it in well, add the sausages, cover and simmer for about 5 - 10 mins. Switch off the stove, and add in the penne. Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.