Thursday, January 19, 2012

Broccoli Rice

I really enjoy making these types of one-pot dishes, not only because they are quick, but they also help me empty my fridge of vegetables. Plus, this gives our palates a nice break from all the Indian spices and flavors. Once again, I would prefer to put lots of cheese in this recipe, but my husband’s lactose-intolerance makes me hold back. Try it and let me know what you think.

Broccoli Rice

2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 head broccoli, divided into flowerets
1 pkt frz mirepoix vegetables
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried marjoram
½ tsp dried thyme
Salt
¼ cup dry white wine
½ tsp sirachi sauce (or other chili sauce)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
1 can cream of chicken soup (condensed)
½ soup-can milk
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)

In a pot, on medium heat, heat a little oil, and then put in the mirepoix mix. After you see the onions start to become transparent, add the garlic, dried herbs, chili sauce and wine. Allow the herbs to cook a little, after which, add the broccoli. Once the broccoli starts to cook, add in the soups and milk, and simmer till the carrots and broccoli are cooked. Add cheese if you like. Switch off the stove once the soups have reached a desired consistency and mix in the rice. Serve hot, hot, hot!

Notes:

*Mirepoix vegetables are a mix of onions, celery and carrots that are usually used in making stock and soup. I buy it frozen to save time and effort.

*I often add leftover carrots, celery, peas, cauliflower, even peppers to this dish. Basically, whatever you might have in the fridge.

*Make sure the brown rice is cooked properly, otherwise the rice will be crunchy

*While talking to my Dad this morning, he suggested adding a can of tomato soup to this recipe, to make it more risotto-like. If someone tries this, please let me know how it turns out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.