Saturday, February 11, 2012

Beef Mince Biryani

Kheema Biryani

Biryani is a dish in which you cook the meat in spices under a layer of rice. There are tons of different types of biryani, each one cooked in a different way. I grew up in Hyderabad, India, which for the longest time I believed was the home of Biryani, so imagine my surprise when I looked up the history of Biryani and found that it originated in Iran (Persia).  I LOVE a good biryani, my whole family does; and maybe it’s because I grew up in Hyderabad, but to me Hyderabadi Biryani is the best Biryani out there.

I believe Hyderabadi biryani is cooked by putting all the raw ingredients into a huge pot, meat and then rice. The pot is sealed with a lid, and a specially made dough is wrapped around the lid, to completely seal it so that no steam escapes. Then the whole thing cooks on a medium-slow flame and not opened until it’s cooked. I have never made a biryani is this manner. My biryani’s are usually a lot quicker, even if I am not using a ready packet of spices, I still cook the meat and rice separately and then layer them together.

The company that makes these ready packets of spices is called SHAN. They make several different types of biryani mixes. My favorite one is the SHAN Biryani Masala, however, their Bombay Biryani Masala is quite good too, and pretty different tasting. Any of these packets are available at an Indian Store. 

1 pnd beef mince
2 cups raw basmati rice (or any long grain white rice)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1 bunch cilantro, stalks removed and finely chopped
1 pkt SHAN Biryani Masala
Salt to taste
Little oil

Cook rice as instructed on the packet and set aside. Whip the yogurt in a bowl with a little salt and keep.
Heat a little oil in a pot with a well-fitted lid and fry the onions until they brown well. Then add the tomato, the beef mince, and the contents of the SHAN packet. Mix well, and cook till the mince is almost completely cooked. Now add the yogurt, and continue to cook till the mince is done. Switch off the stove.

Place the rice over the mince, so that it is two distinct layers. (Do not mix). Sprinkle generously with the chopped cilantro and put the lid on. With the lid on, put the stove on low, and cook the dish for 5-10 minutes. DO NOT STIR. You should be able to hear the mince bubble under the rice. When serving, make sure everyone gets a little rice and a little meat. Serve hot with raita and dal.

1 comment:

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.