Monday, January 14, 2013

Chili-Lime Thyme Leg of Lamb

My husband bought be a slow cooker for Christmas, with the promise that I would make him some fall-of-the-bone lamb, and since his family was visiting over the Christmas-New Year week, we bought a leg of lamb and used a piece of it for dinner. I wasn't very happy with any recipes I found online, so I decided to create my own.

It was extremely tasty, but also swimming in fat from the lamb. The next time I buy lamb, I’ll be asking our butcher to cut off all the fat, and not just the little bit that he did remove.

Chili-Lime Thyme Leg of Lamb
3 potatoes, skinned and chopped into 1” pieces
3 onions, cut into 4 or 6 pieces
10-15 baby carrots, cut in half
1 4–5 lb piece of lamb leg
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbs dried thyme
2 limes
2-3 fresh green chilies, chopped fine
Salt to taste
1 tbs pepper
4 cups chicken or beef stock
5 cloves garlic, whole

Rub the dried thyme, salt, and pepper on the lamb and set aside for 10-15 minutes. Finely grate the rind of one lime. In a small bowl, squeeze out the lime juice of both limes. Soak the chopped green chilies and the lime rind in the juice.

Chop all the vegetables and put into the slow cooker, with the garlic. Place the lamb on top of the vegetables, then pour in the lime-chili mix. Lightly crush the thyme, but keep the sprigs whole, and place it on top of the lamb. Pour in the chicken stock.

Set the slow cooker on low for 6 ½ hours. When it’s done, you should be able to pull the lamb off the bone with a fork. Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.