Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bok Choy and Mushroom Bake

Nothing gets me going, in the kitchen, like a new cooking magazine issue. They always have so many new ideas, and so many ideas that I can use as a basis to my ideas. This recipe is exactly one of those. Rachael Ray's 'Everyday with Rachael Ray' just came in the mail, and had a few recipes with bok choy in them. I've never cooked bok choy and so when I saw it on sale at the grocery store, I decided to buy one. However, I didn't stick to her recipe as it calls for a whole lot of cream and cheese, both of which are a no-no in my lactose-intolerant home. So, I did my own thing, and it turned out pretty darned good! 

The consistency of this bake should be more like a thick cream sauce, so that you can serve it over a pasta. Cream of Mushroom soup tends to become a little thinner when you heat it up, hence the addition of the egg and flour.  

Bok Choy and Mushroom Bake
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 bok choy, chopped, leaves and stalks separated
½ pnd mushrooms, cut into quarters
1 can (26oz) cream of mushroom soup
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Chili powder to taste
4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ tbsp flour
1 egg
2-3 tbsp bread crumbs
Little oil

Heat a little oil in a wok; add the onions, garlic, and bok choy stalks, season with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook till bok choy starts to soften, about 15 minutes. Next add in the mushrooms and bok choy leaves, continue to cook till mushrooms are done. Switch of the stove and sprinkle with flour and mix it well.

While its cooking, in a large bowl whisk the egg and mushroom soup together, until well blended. Once the bok choy and mushroom mix has cooled a little, stir in the mushroom soup. Pour it into an oven proof dish. Sprinkle the top generously with bread crumbs and place in a preheated oven, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, for about 40 minutes. Serve hot over Pasta in Herb Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.