Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Basic White Sauce

Most chefs will tell you that white sauce is one of the basics you have to know to be a good chef. Personally, I find this to be one of the most difficult sauces to make, mainly because I always misjudge the consistency that it will become once it cools, and I, almost always, end up adding a little milk, and reheating, and re-whisking right before I use it. But yesterday, I found that these proportions make a great tasting sauce, and I did manage to get it to the perfect consistency, for my Eggs Kejriwal, without adding more milk! Looks like I’m ready for culinary school or maybe even a spot in Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen?

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

In a sauce pan, on low heat melt the butter, add the flour, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly. Try to remove as many lumps as possible. Then slowly add the milk, a little at a time, so that you can keep whisking the sauce and keep it smooth. Keep stirring after all the milk is added. As soon as it starts to bubble on the sides or starts to thicken, remove from the stove. Continue stirring it for a few minutes to help it cool without forming a thick coating on top. 

Notes:
*I use Lactose-Free, Fat-Free milk for my sauce, but I imagine it would be much creamier and thicker with full-fat milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.