Monday, March 2, 2015

Turkey, Kale, and Bean Soup


A lot has happened in the last year or so to alter our lives and our routines. The biggest and most important, our now 7 month old son! Since, the doting grandparents, and aunts, and uncles have left and we've finally started to get some sort of routine back, I've started to try new recipes again. My parents and in-laws did a lot of cooking while they were here which sort of left me on auto-pilot. But the freezer meals they made are done and I’m dying to try some new stuff in the kitchen.

To stay awake during the late night feeding sessions, I’d browse the internet for anything I could think of. In one of those corners of the internet, I discovered a whole group of busy moms who make freezer to crock-pot meals. We've just started experimenting with some of them, and while we find a lot of them very bland for our Indian palate, they have opened my eyes to even easier cooking. I haven’t started to freeze them yet, I’m still making them fresh everyday but I do plan of freezing a couple.

This Turkey, Kale, and Bean Soup is one such recipe. Here is a link to the original recipe and below you’ll find my additions and tweaks.

Turkey, Kale, and Bean Soup

Turkey, Kale, and Bean Soup
1 small onion, diced
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 box baby kale
1 can Great Northern Beans, washed and drained
3 tablespoons Italian seasonings
1 pound ground turkey
6 cups chicken broth or water (I had to use half of both because I didn’t have enough chicken broth
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper
Salt to taste

Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Make sure the turkey is broken up. Give it a good stir to mix in the herbs. Cook on low for 6 hours. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.