Monday, April 22, 2013

Farfalle with Artichokes, Peppers, and Almonds


I found this recipe in Sunset Magazine. The magazine has some interesting recipes, but often need special ingredients that we don’t always have in the house. This one is an exception. I decided to try it because it’s easy to do, and doesn't have cheese (for my lactose-intolerant husband). I did change around a few things, like using a can of artichokes instead of fresh ones, and I using mini farfalle instead of the regular size. The recipe does not say whether to serve hot, cold, or at room temperature. I preferred eating it hot, so I’d just serve myself and then microwave it. My husband and I both ended up sprinkling some chili flakes over our pasta. The next time I make it I’m going to add some smoked paprika and make be a little chopped polish kielbasa.

 Farfalle with Artichokes, Peppers, and Almonds

Zest from 1/2 a small lemon
Juice from 1 small lemon
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 tsp pepper
Salt to taste
1 jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped or 3 red peppers roasted, skinned, and chopped
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced thin
12 oz farfalle pasta
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup roasted almonds, coarsely ground
1/4 cup of olive oil
Chili flakes, to serve (optional)

Farfalle with Artichokes, Peppers, and Almonds
Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, garlic, pepper, salt, and roasted peppers, in a large bowl. Drain and slice the artichokes and then add to the bowl. Keep the almonds and the parsley separate. Cook the pasta till al dente, drain (saving 1 cup of water) and mix into the bowl. Then mix in the parsley and almonds. Stir in the pasta water slowly, to loosen up the pasta, then serve.

Notes:
*To roast the peppers yourself, you need a gas stove. Put on the burner and place peppers over it so that the flame is touching the peppers. Allow the skin to become completely burned, and then turn the pepper. Do this till the entire pepper looks charred from the outside. Finish the other two peppers in the same manner, and once it’s cooled enough to handle, peel off the charred skin and with a knife remove all the seeds from inside. Then chop it into small pieces.

*To roast almonds, place the desired quantity on a baking sheet. In a preheated oven of 350 degrees Fahrenheit, bake the almonds for 10-15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely, before grinding to the desired consistency. I like to use the almonds with the skin on, as it adds a nice brown color to the already white pasta and artichokes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.