Monday, February 25, 2013

Crepes Suzette


This recipe is by Nigella Lawson. I found it in her book, Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast, which I had borrowed from the library. She suggests that you use store-bought crepes to make this a quick, last minute dessert. Since I had the time, I made the crepes myself, but I like her idea of buying the crepes. The novelty of flambĂ©ing it adds a nice flare if you’re serving this dessert to guests. Serve it hot, with vanilla ice cream.  

Crepes Suzette
Juice of 2 oranges
Zest of 1 orange
¾ cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
8-12 crepes
1/3 cup Grand Marnier, Cointreau or triple sec

Pour the orange juice into a saucepan, and add the zest, butter and sugar. Bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down to a simmer, cooking for a further 10-15 minutes until the sauce becomes syrupy.

Fold the crepes into quarters and then arrange them in a large pan, or any flameproof dish, slightly overlapping in a circular pattern.

Pour over the warm syrup and then gently heat the crepes through for about 3 minutes over low heat.

Warm the orange liqueur of your choice in the emptied but still syrupy saucepan. When the crepes are hot in the orange sauce, pour over the liqueur and set light to the pan to flambĂ© them. Serve immediately, spooning crepes and sauce onto each plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.