Monday, April 2, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Peas and Carrots

In my efforts to stick to my diet, my cooking has been repetitive and unadventurous. However, every little while, something new (or newish) gets created, and so here is a new recipe that I tried. The basis of the recipe is from a friend; I, of course, just couldn’t resist adding a few things. So here is a sweet and spicy peas and carrots dish, with very little oil.

In most of my recipes, I do not give the amount of oil, because every cook has their own comfort levels when cooking with fats. Generally, when I say a little oil, it means 1 – 2 tablespoons or just enough to coat the onions or garlic that I am trying to brown.
Peas and Carrots

2 pkts frz peas and carrots
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2-3 green chilies, finely chopped (remove seeds if you don’t want it too spicy)
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp (heaped) sugar
1 tbsp white vinegar (or to taste)
Little oil

In a pot, heat a little oil, on medium heat. Brown the garlic, stirring occasionally, so that it doesn’t burn. Add the peas and carrots, salt, chili and turmeric powders. Stir well. Next add the tomatoes and the chilies. Allow it to cook for a minute or so. Stir in about 1/2 – 1 cup water, cover with a lid, and simmer until carrots are cooked. Once the vegetables are done, remove lid and allow any liquid to evaporate. Add the vinegar and sugar, and simmer for 5-8 minutes without the lid. This dish should be dry and without any gravy. Serve hot with chapatti or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.