Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tomato Soup with Mushrooms and Basil

Tomato Soup with Mushrooms and Basil

Dinner is usually the big meal in this household. Mainly because my husband and I are both here for it. Which means lunch tends to take a back seat, and my husband often takes dinner left-overs for lunch the next day. I am usually left to scrounge around the fridge for left-overs, or I make myself a soup or a couple of sandwiches (Don't feel bad for me, those are some of my favorite meals).

This week, we have a friend staying with us, so I jazzed up my ordinary can of tomato soup a little and also made some grilled cheese. It turned out extremely well, and is now going to become a frequently made lunch soup.

1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 pkt fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 soup can milk
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Chili powder to taste
1/2 tbsp butter

Stir-fry Mushrooms 
Heat a skillet pan or wok, melt the butter in it, and put in the mushrooms. Toss them so that they are evenly coated with melted butter, then add the salt, pepper, and chili powder. Adding salt to mushrooms makes them release the water they retain. Fry the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until they are cooked.

In a saucepan, pour out the can of soup and put it on medium heat. Mix in the basil. Measure out one can of milk (I use fat-free) using that same soup can and add it to the soup. Stir until its well blended and the soup starts to boil. Add salt to taste if required. Once the soup is hot and starts to bubble, switch of the stove, and pour soup into soup bowls. Then add the mushrooms to the soup, also adding a little bit of the gravy from the mushrooms. Serve very hot with Grilled Cheese.

2 comments:

Hi! Feel free to leave me any comments.